Sonya Sones' novel, What My Mother Doesn't Know, is a true window into a teenage girl's inner thoughts, heart, and persona. This novel should be called A Guide to Every Young Girl's World (for everyone that is not a young girl). Sonya Sones writes so honest and truthful, and I honestly feel that a 40 year-old man could read this novel and gain real insight into a young girl's mind. Her style is innovative, her prose is tender and easy. Each little poem says so much, it's as if we readers are reading straight from the characters journal. The main character in this book, and all of her books, is in a struggle to find themselves. Her main theme and message is be true to yourself. Be who you are. I think that is the greatest message any young adult novel can bring to it's readers. And with the realness of the text, it tells young readers, its okay to be yourself, even with all these awkward moments and and embarrassing situations. Students would really be able to relate this text. No matter what issues the young female protagonists are facing, they learn to follow their heart and be themselves. I feel that this would be a great novel for young women, and even young men, to read because the moral is wonderful and the unique prose style writing is a great way to open children's minds to different types of literature. This could be taught in a poetry class or a literature class, that is what is so cool about Sones.
I had the chance to visit Sonya Sones website, and I think this is one of the neatest author websites there is. It is very kid friendly, yet has content that still fascinates me as an adult. She not only offers personal information about herself, there is information on her books, as well as great advice for young writers and readers of YA lit. I've added the link, so feel free to visit it and look around, she truly is a fascinating lady.
http://www.sonyasones.com
Monday, September 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment